|Personal and Business Products|
The History of Farmers State Bank of Parkston
Farmers State Bank was founded July 19, 1919 in Beardsley, South Dakota. The original stockholders of the bank were: Fred G., Ernest, John, Ann and Anna Bormann who were all siblings. Their respective titles were President, Cashier and Vice President. The original capital stock issued was $15,000.00.
In 1933 the Bormann brothers moved the bank from Beardsley to Stickney, South Dakota, and increased the capital stock to $25,000.00. On December 11, 1954, Vern Bormann, who was the son of Fred G. Bormann, opened a bank in Parkston, South Dakota, and together with his father and brothers operated the two banks until 1959 when Fred G. Bormann along with his sons Marvin and Donald applied for and received a charter for the Stickney location. In that same year, Vern acquired the original Farmers State Bank charter and increased the capital stock to $75,000.00. The original officers of the Parkston location were Vern E. Bormann, President; Chris Schmidt, Vice President; Emanuel Litz, Vice President; and Marvin Bormann, Cashier. The original directors of Farmers State Bank, Parkston were Fred G. Bormann, Chairman of the Board, Vern E. Bormann, H.J. Schumaker, Chris Schmidt, Marvin F. Bormann, Emanuel Litz and Donald W. Bormann.
The first building that the Parkston office occupied was the old NuWay Cleaners building on Main Street. In 1960 the bank built a 50' by 88' brick facility on the building site that was formerly occupied by the K & K Store, which was gutted by fire.
Renovation was completed in August of 1998 and the bank doubled its physical size, while also adding a two-stall drive-up. At that time the bank employed 25 full-time staff people and one part-time person and had assets in excess of $96 million. The current officers and the year they joined the bank are:
J.D. Bormann is also a fourth generation Bormann to join the bank. The current board of directors are Robert Bormann, Scott Bormann, Paul Bormann, Timothy J. Alley, J.D. Bormann and Wayne Tilberg.
In April of 2000, Farmers State Bank acquired substantially all of the assets and assumed the deposit liabilities of Farmers State Bank of Kaylor. Farmers State Bank of Kaylor was purchased from the William Billars, Sr. family, who had been serving the Kaylor area for more than seventy-five years.
History of Farmers State Bank of Kaylor
When the Kaylor State Bank failed in the 1920's, Frank Billars encouraged area farmers to get together and reorganize as the Farmers State Bank in Kaylor. The superintendent of Banking officially declared the Farmers State Bank open on September 12, 1924 with a capital of $15,000 and a surplus of $1,000.
The original Board of Directors were Frank Billars, Andrew Baltzer, Fred Magstadt, Gus Boettcher and John Schlechter. Frank Billars' son, William Billars, worked full time with Andrew Voll helping part time. The William Billars Insurance Agency was also run through the Farmers State Bank from 1925 to 1992.
The old bank building is located on the southwest corner of Kaylor Main Street. In the 1960's an addition was built on the west side of the structure. The interior was remodeled several times.
In 2000, when Kaylor became a branch of Farmers State Bank of Parkston, the board of directors were William Billars, Sr., Clara Billars, William R. Billars Jr., Edwin Ziegler and Keith Noe. Employees were William Billars Sr., William Billars Jr., Gladys Billars, Ed Rembold, Connie Carda and Teresa Bartlett.
In 2003, Farmers State Bank of Kaylor remodeled the old Country Store building, located directly north of the original bank building on Main Street. In January of 2004, Farmers State Bank of Kaylor officially moved into their new facility.